Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Papaw

It has been hard in the midst of everything going on to grieve and truly remember my Papaw, so I take the moments that I can. Maybe this is for my own good, but let me share about my granddaddy.

He was 91 years old when he died and was widowed for over 25 years. He loved his Emma Ruth more than anything in the world, and though he dated several lovely ladies over the years (yes, papaw dated!), he never married another. He worked for TVA all his life as an accountant, after attending Business school in Nashville. He told me once that he just wasn't the "big city" kind of guy, so he couldn't wait to move back to his home area like a country boy. His roomate in business school said he never had an argument with him and remained his best friend, talking on the phone daily until Papaw died. He was a very smart business man, owning a couple of his own over the years. He and my grandmother loved their farm, where they raised cattle, had horses, goats, chickens, and peacocks (I loved those as a kid)the farm has a beautiful creek and a real live well for water. You haven't lived in the country until you drive cold fresh water from the ground out of a tin can. From what I've heard, my papaw had an eye for good horses, and bought many over the years for my mom and her sisters as they rode, showed, and competed on horseback all growing up. In his later years, he didn't buy and sell horses or cattle anymore, but his love for them didn't change. He did grow fond of a new animal friend, but I'll share about her a little later. ;)

He had three daughters who he loved and who doted over him. He loved his grandchildren: Jennifer, Rebekah, Stephanie (the favorite of course!), Bradley, and Wesley. His great-grandchildren really had his heart: Tate, Jon Walt, and Parker. I'm sure he would have loved Mills and his great-grand daughter soon to be, Katie Aubrey. He loved them coming to visit and stayed very active in all of our lives.

I remember my Papaw as a family man. A simple man, with simple life passions. A laid-back, lovable man. A wise man with a country heart. And a believer in Jesus. Glad he is with him now.

Papaw's first meeting of Parker



I've probably posted these before, but these are of Parker meeting Papaw's puppy love, Jewel. And also to introduce her as the newest member of our family! We adopted Jewel in our home! Parker always loved her and Papaw knew it. She is a little diva and a total lap dog. She is not quite used to our pace of life yet, but we are hoping she adjusts well. She is still grieving too, and that is understandable. She loved Papaw as much as he loved her!


1 comment:

  1. Aaww!! Great memories for you and your family..it heals the soul!! Still praying for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete