Tuesday, August 10, 2010

View from a Tot Rod

It is always amazing to see how God teaches me through my child. It has become Parker and I's afternoon "outing" to make a road trip to the mail box in his new tot rod. Sometimes (since it's been so hot) we even turn the sprinklers on to shower us on our way. Yesterday we were cruising along and I noticed Parker's little arms (which are usually grasping the steering wheel, or a juice cup, or both) stretched outside the tot rod (safety hazard, I know, but hang with me...) and him reaching to grab around him, things I wasn't even noticing. Now keep in mind this "Tot Rod" maxes out at about 1 mph so it's not like I'm racing him around! But I decided to stop along and let him feel mommy's plants as we were watering. I showed him how to smell the geraniums and what the prickly end of a holly feels like. Then it hits me... this is the first time he has smelled a flower or felt a waxy holly leaf in his fingers. How cool is that?? I know, I know, only a parent could get this excited over seeing their child experience something new. I was in awe (and humbled to, just think I could play a role in Parker's introduction to things in our world). And I couldn't help but think God must have had that kind of feeling about Adam and Eve, when they were first experiencing the gifts of the garden. All of His creation! And don't you think God gets pleasure and pride watching me (and you) when we experience His creation in new or meaningful ways?

Sometimes we need a little perspective and yesterday gave mine a working on. What if I slowed down enough (Tot Rod style) to notice what or who God has put around me? To savor new experiences, or the gift of watching others experience something new? To notice when someone else needs help or encouragement? or just to take time to notice someone at all?

Just wanted to share my thoughts...take your own tot rod out for a spin and see how goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment