Friday, November 5, 2010

Mills Mission... Life Without Limits Run

Last Saturday was an AWESOME experience to participate in the Life Without Limits Run (1/2 Marathon, 5k, and 1 mile Fun Run) for the UCP in Florence. http://www.ucprun.com. Robbie and I ran along with many other friends and family in memory of sweet baby Mills. It was my first 5k to ever do!! I am amazed that I finished, but you understand why when you read my motivation. In fact, I'm not sure anything but my sweet little nephew and Jesus could have gotten me to do that!

Many people aren't aware (myself included!) that Cerebal Palsy is often caused by premature births and complications. Though my nephew Mills was never given a formal diagnosis of CP (he didn't make it that far), it is highly likely that given his birth at 25 weeks due to placental abrupture and other complications, he would have had CP (among other things).

Rebekah, my sister, is the heart and soul behind Mills Mission. Along side her grief, she starting planning this summer to get a group together to run for "Mills Mission" and raise support for the UCP. She had never run any kind of race before either! I began training in August with the Couch to 5K program from Cool Running - it is GREAT if you are NOT a runner like me but want to try something like this. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
I am so proud of Rebekah for getting this together and motivating me to DO something good in the midst of pain. It speaks volumes to her and Roddy's faith in God through heartbreak and puts flesh to the scripture "Weeping may come for a night, but JOY comes in the morning". Sure there were tears of sorrow last Saturday as we remembered Mills and wish so deeply he was still with us, but the Spirit of Joy was everywhere. We can celebrate because we KNOW our God and that all His promises stand True.


Our team shirts had this scripture on them:
I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may FINISH THE RACE and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- the task of testifying to the Gospel of God's Grace. Acts 20:24
And team sign:

On the back it read: We run to remember... One short life, One eternal purpose.

I could only pray my life would have such eternal purpose and reveal God's glory and grace to others. Mills Thomas Methvin lived 6 short weeks, but the impact of his life absolutely eternal. That is God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment